Baseball Advances to Playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Baseball Advances to Playoffs

Junior Matt Aubuchon takes a swing at a pitch in the Eagles' final district game of the season. They were named the District Champions following the game and will play Nacogdoches Wednesday, Thursday and possibly Saturday.

Colleen Starkey

Colleen Starkey

Colleen Starkey

Colleen Starkey, Assistant Editor

The varsity baseball team will play Nacogdoches in the bi-district playoff round Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Game one will be in Nacogdoches at 7 p.m. Wednesday, game two will take place in Lindale at 7 p.m. Thursday and game three will be played Saturday in Whitehouse at 2 p.m. if necessary.

“We are really excited about the opportunity that we have in front of us,” coach Rich Sanguinetti said. “Being the District Champions really gave us a boost of confidence as we are peaking at the right time.”

The team officially clinched a playoff spot April 12. They were named the District Champions following their final district game Friday.

“We have worked hard everyday at practice, and it will be exciting to see what we will do,” sophomore Brandon Burckel said. “I’m looking forward to competing against some pretty good teams.”

The baseball boys finished out district play with an overall record of 20-8 with an 11-4 record in district. If they win the series against Nacogdoches, they will play either Corsicana or North Forney in the area playoff round.

“We have developed a pack mentality,” Sanguinetti said. “Our kids are very supportive of each other. Heading into playoffs we need to stay poised and play our game.”

Update: The baseball team beat Nacgodoches 2-0 in game one Wednesday, lost 0-2 in game two Thursday, and won 5-1 Saturday to advance to the are playoff round. They will play Corsicana April 9 in Corsicana at 6 p.m. in a one-game playoff.