FFA members pose for a picture. They will compete at Area on Wednesday.
Rylee Hawkins

FFA Teams Place At District

FFA students competed at the Mineola District LDE event on November 9. The teams that qualified will compete at the Area Six Association this Wednesday in Marshall.

“Now, that was yesterday’s celebration that we qualified some teams,” head ag teacher and coach Donald Wernecke said. “Today we put the game face back on, and we are full throttle for Area.”

The students competed in twelve different events, including Ag Advocacy, Greenhand and Senior Ag Skills, Chapter Conducting, Greenhand and Senior Creed Speaking, Broadcasting, Job Interview, Public Relations, Greenhand and Senior Level Quiz, and Greenhand Spanish Creed Speaking.

“I feel like we did really good as a chapter overall,” sophomore Keegan Blackburn said. “I think we will do good at Area and possibly State.”

The Greenhand Ag Skills, Chapter Conducting, Job Interview, Public Relations, and Greenhand Quiz teams placed first. The Greenhand Creed team placed second, and the Ag Advocacy, Senior Ag Skills, and Senior Creed Speaking teams placed third. The Spanish Creed Speaking team placed sixth, the Broadcasting team placed ninth, and the Senior Quiz team placed twelveth.

“Every ag teacher here is new to the district, and what the teachers have done by training these students and how they performed is phenomenal,” Wernecke said. “History was made at the Mineola District competition.”

The top three teams in each division from district qualify for Area. Nine teams qualified.

“When you’re making history in a program that’s young is the greatest feeling,” Wernecke said. “I cannot wait to see how the teams will perform at Area.”