The Student News Site of Lindale High School

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Junior Wins Back-To-Back State For Track

Connery Churchill
Maya runs the open 400 at the University of Texas on May 4. “Before my race I always go blank,” Maya said. “I go into a state of numbness where nothing can touch or get to me.”

Junior Colter Maya won back-to-back  state titles at the University of Texas on May 2. Maya won the open 400 meter, but also runs the 4×400 and open 200 meter.

I fell in love with the sport and the people I got to meet and have been running ever since,” Maya said. “My dedication and discipline is what has gotten me this far.”

Maya started running track in the 7th grade. He had tried out for the high jump team that eventually allowed him to make the sprints team. 

“Colter’s very self-motivated and a guy that works really hard that never question work ethic,” coach Chad Cooper said. “I’m really proud of how he’s able to win back-to-back and it’s really cool to see him go out there and achieve it.”

Maya works out and runs everyday except for Wednesdays and Sundays. Two days a week, he will do a lactic acid day which trains legs to handle the lactic acid at the end of the race.

The thing that motivates me is the irresistible urge to win,” Maya said. “The feeling to attack and conquer and go onto the next thing.”

The other two days he will do a top end speed workout which works on his top speed. Then he reserves one day for speed and endurance which allows him to hold his top speed for a longer duration of time. Maya also incorporates three weight room workouts a week in his training.

“I enjoy how good I feel after I run,” Maya said. “The sore feeling you get after you run is such an amazing feeling because you feel like you did something to better yourself.”

Maya plans to run during college but is still weighing all his options before going anywhere. He wants to major in nursing and eventually become an anesthesiologist assistant. 

“I’ve always had an interest in the medical field and just the idea of serving others,” Maya said. “I want to make an impact and help others.”

Next year Maya hopes to break the University of Texas meet record and go under 46 seconds in the open 400. He also hopes to make it to nationals.

As great of an accomplishment as it is to win back-to-back, I feel satisfied,” Maya said. “State was never the end goal, nationals is.”