The Student News Site of Lindale High School

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Band Leadership Team Announced

Recently, band students applied for band leadership positions including drum majors. Selections were then announced, and they will attend camp during the summer.

“We are very excited,” band director Weston Fisher said. “It is an outstanding group of young people and we can not wait to see what they accomplish and how they grow as leaders and musicians next year.”

In the SLT (Student Leadership Team) band directors look for the student leader to have integrity, trustworthiness, work ethic, loyalty, among many other qualities. The drum majors who are the top leaders are junior Sarah Christian, junior Josie Roach, junior John Rasbury, and junior Irelyn McWithey.

“Being head drum major is truly such an honor,” head drum major Sarah Christian said. “I love being able to support the band and lead them through performances, and overall, I love making connections with people.”

The leaders will help other band members learn to march, play their music, serve on water crew, uniform crew, and loading crew. The interview combined with what they have accomplished and their performance in high school determines who is designated a student leader.

“Being on the leadership team for the band has been a great opportunity that I have been able to be a part of for the past 3 years,” french horn leader Kamdyn Bergbower said.  “It has shown me how important responsibility is and dedication.”

There are also opportunities that are not designated SLT but allow students to exhibit leadership characteristics such as chair tests, trying out for all regions, participating in solo and ensemble.  This year there are 44 students on the Student Leadership Team.

“Squad leadership for the band has always been a really fun experience,” percussion leader Josh Edwards said. “It’s really fun getting to know more people and it increases my involvement with the band.”