Twirlers To Compete At State Contest

Photo courtesy of Abby Banko
Twirlers pose after their regional competition. All of the girls qualified for state. Photo courtesy of Abby Banko

The twirlers will compete at the UIL State Solo and Ensemble Contest that will be held at Austin in May. They recently competed in the Region 21 UIL Twirling Solo and Ensemble Contest, winning 17 1st division medals and qualifying for state.

“I am so very excited for the team,” twirler director Abigail Banko said. “This is a huge accomplishment; they have worked so hard.”

Each twirler performs a solo and in an ensemble for judges which receives a rating from divisions one through four. A division one rating from the judges in either their solo or ensemble qualifies the twirler for state. 

“I am proud of how we all performed at the regional contest,” sophomore twirler Kylee Wilkerson said. “I was very nervous and I’m sure the other girls were too, but we were able to all qualify for state.”

The twirlers begin preparing in June for the regional contest. They each learn a solo routine and a group routine.

“We’ve worked super hard since the beginning to be able to make it to state,” senior head twirler Sarah Woodworth said. “Now, we have to focus on getting better each day so we can perform better at state.”

To prepare for state, the girls will increase the difficulty of their solos and learn new skills. They will also continue cleaning up their dance technique and baton-handling skills.

“I am so proud of the twirlers as they make coaching super fun,” Banko said. “I cannot wait to see how they perform at the state level.”

Solo Medalists and State Qualifiers:

• Elizabeth Bruwer
  • Kate Caldwell
  • Abigail Hancock
  • Marli Hawley
  • Aubri Lemmert
  • Kaydin Lottman
  • Kylee Wilkerson 
  • Sarah Woodworth

Ensemble Medalists and State Qualifiers:

• Elizabeth Bruwer
  • Kate Caldwell
  • Abigail Hancock
  • Marli Hawley
  • Aubri Lemmert
  • Kaydin Lottman
  • Bailey Seagroves
  • Kylee Wilkerson 
  • Sarah Woodworth