The Student News Site of Lindale High School

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Speech and Debate Compete at Angel Tournament

Speech+and+debate+team+gets+ready+to+compete+at+Sabine+
Rory McKenzie
Speech and debate team gets ready to compete at Sabine

The members of the Speech and Debate team competed Saturday at Sabine High School. Several freshmen competed with an upperclassman as an ‘angel’ to help them.

“An angel tournament is a great opportunity for beginners to try out debate in a lower-stakes and less stressful environment,” debate coach Rory McKenzie. “I’m really pleased with the freshmen who attended.  For so many, this is the time where lightbulbs start turning on and they really start to apply what we’ve been learning in class for the first six weeks.”

Angels at this tournament were assigned to help the freshman get a handle on how a debate meet goes and how their event was going to plan out. There were six freshmen who attended this meet in Sabine, and four angels.

“I had a great time at the Sabine tournament. It was a great learning experience for me to get introduced to debate, and I had a fun time doing it as well,” sophomore Odin Burks said. “I’m looking forward to competing more in the future, and I have high hopes for my partner and I this year.”