EagleVision Finishes Winning Season

EagleVision Finishes Winning Season

The EagleVision film team went to state at UT Austin on February 21 after a successful UIL contest season. The documentary “Made to Last” honoring Tommy Mallory placed 2nd, and the traditional animations “Girls Can Race” and “In a Rush” placed third and fifth.   The team was honored at the school board meeting on Monday.

“I was very excited about EagleVision being able to go to state with three films this year,” film teacher Neda Morrow said. “The competition at 4a is very tough and when we saw the other teams at such high quality we were just very proud that our films were able to make the top level like theirs did.”

The students whose films went to state include juniors Julia Montgomery and Liliana Miller in documentary, and sophomores Alitsa Tovar, Kylie Gorman, and Xander Denman for traditional animation. 

Going to state for film has been one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life,” Miller said. “I got to spend time with so many wonderful people, and my team’s work got recognized.”

At state, they got a chance to watch all the films from every category before the award ceremony. There were schools competing from all over the state with over 800 films going against one another.

Watching the other films was so much fun because you get to see all these cool and different ideas executed in ways we didn’t even think about,” Miller said. “The award ceremony was nerve-wracking, but I knew we had it as soon as they called third place. It was great to see all of our hard work be acknowledged with a plaque and medals.”

In addition to competing in UIL, EagleVision submits their films to other festivals.  The film “Tell Your Heart to Beat Again” by Sydney Hines and Bailey Park won Best Student Film and Best Documentary at the Christian Online Film Festival for March. 

“I really like everything that we put out this year as far as films goes,” sophomore Sydney Hines said. “I think that we will keep improving each year just getting better and better as we work together as a team.”

Video by Kylie Gorman and Lili Miller
Video by Alitsa Tovar and Xander Denman
Video by Julia Montgomery, Xander Denman, and Alitsa Tovar
Video by Sydney Hines