Junior Natalee Dedios runs the 3200 meter race during the track meet. It was held at the Lindale stadium.
Zoie White

Eagles Place at Blackberry Relays

The track teams competed in the Blackberry Relays held at home this past Thursday, and both the varsity boys and junior varsity girls placed first overall. The next track meet will be held on Friday in Bullard. 

“For our first track meet, I was very proud of all of our athletes who competed,” coach Daniel Devisccher said. “I can tell it’s going to be a great year.”

The varsity boys’ team had ten people place first in their event. Sophomore Colter Maya, Junior Hayes Brooks, and Seniors Ryder Dennis and Alejandro Gutierrez placed first in the 1600-meter relay, along with Maya placing first two more times in other events.

For our first track meet, I was very proud of all of our athletes who competed. I can tell it’s going to be a great year.

— Daniel Devisccher

“I feel amazing about my performance, and I think I did really well,” Maya said. “A lot of people hit new PRs and performed well. My hope for the team is to win district.”

The varsity girls’ team placed fourth overall with two people placing first in their event. Junior Kayli Vickery placed first in pole vault, and junior Makayla Bosmond placed first in the 3200-meter run. 

“I think our performance at the meet could’ve been a lot better as a team,” senior Laniya Daniels said. “We did well, but there’s always room for improvement.”

The junior varsity boys’ team placed second overall with three people placing first. Sophomore Nathan Bradford placed first in high jump, sophomore Gunner Johnson placed first in discus, and sophomore Drew Ragland placed first in shot put.

“I’m really happy with how I competed in shot put,” Ragland said. “I hope I continue to dominate in my events, and I hope the team can get first place next time.”

The junior varsity girls’ team had three people place first in their event. Junior Maddie Luster placed first in the 3200-meter run, junior Cadyn Haisten placed first in the 1600-meter run, and freshman Jolene McKinney placed first in the 300-meter hurdles. 

“I think we did really well at the meet,” senior Christiana Ussery said. “We practice hard, and it shows through our performances.”