The newspaper staff poses with their bronze star plaque. I couldnt be more proud of my staff, editor-in-chief Marlee Sorrells said. Weve worked very hard this year and I love the work my staff put out.
The newspaper staff poses with their bronze star plaque. “I couldn’t be more proud of my staff,” editor-in-chief Marlee Sorrells said. “We’ve worked very hard this year and I love the work my staff put out.”
Photo By: NLM

Newspaper Earns a Bronze Star

The Eagle Eye earned a bronze star from the Interscholastic League Press Conference (ILPC) for excellence with the online newspaper. This means the staff is in the top 10 online school newspapers in Texas.

“I’m so excited about the newspaper winning the bronze star award,” sponsor Neda Morrow said. “It is one of the most prestigious awards you can win in journalism in the state of Texas.”

The website goes through two different rounds of judging. The first judging began in February.  After entries are judged, only the highest papers receive a nomination for a star.  Then, the papers go through another round of judging. 

“I was really happy that we were nominated for a star, and I was very surprised when Mrs. Morrow announced that we won a bronze star,” co-editor in chief Kylie Hester said. “I’m proud of the staff and am excited to see even more improvement next year.”

Online newspapers are judged for the quality of content, how often they publish, and how professional the website looks. Staffs must create news, feature, sports, and multimedia content to be considered at the highest level.

“We work really hard together to make sure that we know what is going on inside the school so that we can report on it,” staff writer Jaida Jones said. “It can get overwhelming keeping up with every event, score, and class, but we do a pretty good job at reporting quickly and efficiently.”

Last year, the Eagle Eye also earned a bronze star. In 2017, they earned a silver star.

“I am really glad that we’ve done so well these past two years,” Hester said. “Considering we have such a small staff and are all very busy, it is a huge accomplishment for us to have consistently done so well.”