Student Council gets groovy in their general time at the convention.
Photo By: Renee Ramsey

Student Council Heads to State Convention

The Student Council recently attended their state convention for different student councils from around the state. The convention was held in Irving and the students went to learn how to develop and improve their program.

“This was a great event for students to learn about different councils from across Texas and how they work to improve their school,” sponsor Renee Ramsey said. “It was a wonderful time for us to study and see how we can make our own school better.”

Students participated in multiple lectures by motivational speakers both in large and small groups. Students were also able to learn the many ways other schools fundraise.

“We had a fun time at the convention and we really were able to bond and grow as a team,” president Landrie Hay said. “It allowed our student council to focus on a vision for next year and the years to come.”

Hay represented district seven and walked with the flag in the opening ceremony. The convention also held multiple booths on what events different councils put on for spirit week.

“I personally think I learned a ton and I feel more fit to help make decisions that will help make our school a more outstanding place than it already is,” sophomore Katie Velarde said. “Learning from the motivational speakers was a great way to see how we could improve our leadership skills.”

Students got the chance to visit Six Flags on the second day. The convention ended with students participating in different team games.

“It was a great experience going to the convention in Irving,” sophomore Brady Bethany said. “I feel very prepared for next year and I am ready for the exciting things we will do.”