Freshmen sign up for different clubs and extra curriculars.
Jaida

Freshmen Attend Fish Camp ’21

Incoming freshmen attended fish camp today to receive their schedules and navigate the school. Clubs and organizations set up booths to recruit interested students, and teachers and administrators were available to help.

“The most important thing is that they feel welcomed and that they are excited to be here,” assistant principal Melissa Dukes said. “I know for many, they have been gone for so long and they just need to get back into a routine.”

As incoming freshmen arrived at fish camp, upperclassmen helped students adjust to their surroundings and find their way around the halls.

“I hope to be a great example for them to follow,” junior Lauren Phillips said. “I just want to be a light in their lives, someone that they can go to in a time of need.”

Out of the many clubs, extracurricular activities, and organizations offered at the high school, band and sports are the most popular. There are over 300 students signed up for band this year and multiple students are involved in some type of sport. Due to COVID-19, last year’s students didn’t get to attend Fish Camp, so this year’s camp was a return to normal.

“I’m nervous because I’m a freshman– this is a huge school, and there are a lot of upperclassmen that know the school and I don’t know the school so it’s nerve-wracking,” freshman Josie Roach said. “I am excited  to go to high school because a lot of things have happened. They are different here than at the other schools. I think it will be fun once I know the school.”