Students from various CTE classes talk with UT Health staff about their careers.
Photo by Andrew Velarde

EMT Helicopter and Ambulance Land in Lindale for Careers Lesson

Emergency Medical Technicians from UT Health visited the high school with various CTE classes April 21. The medical crew stayed all day and talked to students about their careers such as EMS, paramedic, and Registered Nurse (RN).

“We were covering careers as EMTs and Paramedics so my kids had to research these jobs and make a presentation that explained their daily duties, education and certifications,” Law I and II teacher Paige Ridge said. “ I thought it would be fun and more engaging for them to see these careers in person. I collaborated with UT Health and they sent out one of their Air One helicopters and an ambulance.”

The crew came with their EMS helicopter and ambulance for the students to see and get a hands-on learning experience with Ridge’s, Sally Clemmons’, and Mrs. Hone’s classes attending.

“For us, the Health Science, Med Term, and CMA classes all visited with UT staff and crew,” CMA teacher Sally Clemmons said. “It was a great opportunity to inform and motivate students as they think about their future.”

For us, the Health Science, Med Term, and CMA classes all visited with UT staff and crew. It was a great opportunity to inform and motivate students as they think about their future.

— Sally Clemmons

The two EMT’s explained to the students how they become EMT’s, what being one is like, and gave advice to the students about quick decision making during stressful situations. The helicopter was staffed with a Flight Nurse and a Flight Paramedic, and gave the students information about how to pursue the career and how to obtain the necessary certifications.

“[The UT Health staff} allowed the students to crawl all around the helicopter and even sit in the cockpit, [and the] students found this really fun and interesting,” Ridge said. “Ultimately this was an opportunity for my students to see these careers firsthand instead of just hearing about them from me. We all learn better when we can see and touch things.”