The Student News Site of Lindale High School

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Students Practice Surgical Skills

Senior Kayla McCoy practices suturing on a banana.

This week, the medical assistant classes are focusied on learning the skill and process of suturing. The students are mandated to acquire the skill in both the application and removal of sutures and staples.

“I think this teaches the students to be patient and willing to learn new things,” CCMA teacher Sally Clemmons said. “My Dad is a doctor so I learned to suture when I was younger, and knew that students could learn.”

The students learn how to suture and staple from hands-on experiences and videos. Clemmons demonstrates the process and helps when students need it.

“Learning how to do sutures is an excellent skill to learn for those who are going into the medical field,” junior Emma Dilly said. “I am super thankful to Mrs. Clemmons for teaching us.”

The class learned how to suture on bananas and synthetic pads with real sutures and needles. This skill teaches students to be patients and have confidence when learning a new unit.

“Learning how to suture is a fundamental element of the medical field,” senior Laicha Zeniga said. “This is a special skill that I am looking forward to doing on patients in the future.”

The class has been doing this project for ten years and the purpose of it is to prepare the students for medical school. T

“My classmates and I are granted a multitude of different types of medical techniques used in a medical setting, ” senior Elijah Watson said. “By being able to learn this technique, my peers and I can now use this in a real world scenario.”