Students compete in the Fall Classic. This was hosted in the MAC last Friday.
Lian Boone

Pathfinders Compete in Special Olympics

The Pathfinders competed in a Special Olympics hosted in the Multipurpose Activity Center (MAC) recently. This was put on to replace the events they normally attend, since some have been canceled due to COVID-19.
“Typically we train and compete at the Bowling Special Olympic events and all those events have been canceled due to Covid,” sponsor Christy Bateman said. “We only participate in individual events rather than team events, to practice social distancing.”
The olympics had several stations that were hosted by student volunteers from various clubs and organizations. For example, football players were in charge of a football throwing contest and cheerleaders hosted stations like golf and softball.
“I was really grateful for the opportunity to help out,” sophomore Lauren Phillips said. “I was really happy that I could participate in the joy with the Pathfinders.”
To reduce the chances of exposure to COVID-19 the events were single person events. The events included football, golf, softball, and bocce.
“Because Special Olympic bowling [was] canceled, it encouraged us to branch out and find other events that we could participate in,” Bateman said. “Football was the favorite sport [they competed] in, so that means next year we will definitely have to keep it as one of the sports to compete in.”
The Pathfinders spend time working toward the goal of competing in the different events. They also have the opportunity to bond with the volunteers during the events and form new friendships.
“Our Pathfinders look forward to these special days and events,” Bateman said. “It makes them feel special having all the volunteers join in the fun. This competition took five weeks of preparation and training to get ready for all the events. After the Fall Classic competition, the Pathfinders talked about it for days. Friendships have been made with buddies and they look forward to seeing the volunteers in the halls. It is a bonding experience that runs deep.”