Students Perform at Act XIII

Hosts for the Act XIII performance. Form left to right, Senior Sarah Sundholm, Junior Lily Ledsome, Seninor Jaida Jones, and Senior Ashlyn Blankenship

Students performed at Act XIII Saturday at the Performing Arts Center. The show was open for community members and was sponsored by the Education Foundation.

“I think Act XIII is great,” theater director Kari McKenzie said. “It gives students who have different and unique talents the opportunity to come together in one showcase in one night, and show our community how talented our kids are.”

Act XIII is a student spotlight  program, and students from any grade level in the district may audition. The program allows for a variety of talents: dancing, singing, comedy, instrumental performances, and more. 

“I think we have a really good variety of kids from elementary all the way to high school,” Mckenzie said. “A lot of them are really talented. You see a lot of skill and a lot of determination.” 

The Act XIII program was created 13 years ago by Superintendent Stan Surratt. The show’s function is to support the Education Foundation and showcase the students’ talent inside the district.  

“I think Act XII was a great idea,” Mckenzie said. “It has been beneficial every single year and it has done a really good job at fulfilling the purpose they actually had for it.”

The show is one of the largest fundraisers for the Education Foundation, which is a program created to provide a network of opportunities to local Texas schools as well as training and resources to staff. The money earned from ticket sales will find itself back into the school system by increasing funds for individual teacher’s classes.

“Act XIII gives students the opportunity to be a part of something that benefits their school district, their individual campuses, and potentially their classrooms,” McKenzie said. “It just gives them the opportunity to show the Lindale community how talented our students are.”

Some of the talents expressed were dancing, singing, instrumental performances and theatrical representations.

“I felt really good about my performance in Act XIII,” sophomore Audrey Yang said. “It was really fun to be able to perform, and I’m glad I got the opportunity to do so for a second time.”