Floral Design Students Become Certified

Floral Design students pose for a picture. This group traveled to Longview on May 1. Photo Provided by Kim Watson.

Floral design students traveled to Longview to participate in the Texas State Florists Association Hands-On portion of certification. The certifications include multiple phases for high school students.   

“All students in my beginning floral classes were required to take the knowledge based test,” floral design teacher Kim Watson said. “This was also their end-of-year exam. After they passed the exam, any students who were interested in pursuing the Hands-On certification were allowed to take that portion.” 

The exam contains three portions overall. If students have passed the first two certifications, there is a Level 2 Hands-On assessment where they will create a corsage, a rose bouquet, and an asymmetrical arrangement.

“The first step is a knowledge based assessment that includes 100 questions about the floral industry,” Watson said. “The second step is to take the Level 1 Hands-On assessment.  Students must make a boutonniere and a triangular design to detailed specifications. All of these tests are timed and are judged by Master Florists.”

Through the certification process, students gain knowledge of an industry that may interest them in the future. Floral certifications can be used and are helpful for many job fields.

“This may give them an opportunity to work at a business that is not “fast food” or other typical jobs you would find while in college,” Watson said. “For others, this may be the first step into a career they are interested in. Lastly, any extra activities or certifications you can put on your resume or college application is always a plus when competing for admission to a specific college or scholarships.”

Out of the Lindale students who went, six passed the certification. Sophomore Ximena Malina, earned the highest score out of the whole competition.

“I am just so honored that I got to participate in this event,” Malina said. “I have committed a lot of time and effort to this class and seeing that pay off means a lot to me.”

Malina plans to take Floral Design 2 next year to continue her journey. She recommends the class and certification to all students. 

“Floral design has been a class that I have greatly enjoyed,” Malina said. “Becoming certified felt like a huge achievement for me and it’s something I hope to carry out and use in my future.”