New CTE Fire Academy Course Implemented

Instructor Jeff Akin teaches his class about the firefighter suit. They previously timed a student who was able to put on the suit under two minutes. Photo Courtesy of Teri Hodges

A new fire academy course has been implemented this school year. It is a free TJC class for juniors and seniors that allows them to get all required credentials to become a firefighter after graduation.

“The purpose of this course is exposing our students to opportunities post high school and being able to walk away with a skill whether this is just a future in fire or just a trade to get started,” CTE director Teri Hodges said. “A lot of firemen in our communities have more than one job. But just a way to give them a skill that they can walk out and produce a living and take care of themselves and be a contributing member to society is the purpose of this course.”

The course will teach students everything they will need to know to become a firefighter as well as physically prepare them for the job. At the end of the first year, students will complete the fire certification level one. After they complete the second year they will be eligible for the state fire evaluation exam, and if they pass, will be a state certified firefighter.

“It’s such an exciting opportunity for these young people,” Hodges said. “It’s amazing getting to see them try on the gear. I think it makes the next step, their future, feel more real, more close. I think it will help with their motivation and excitement towards preparing for their future and being able to walk out and make a living will make a lot of difference in these kids’ lives.”

Although the class is free for students, it is a TJC course and is being funded by the district. The course costs $4,935 including tuition and fees, uniforms, textbooks, and firefighting gear rental. Those who have begun this course as a senior will have to take the second half of the class at a college or junior college, such as TJC, to complete the 24 college credit hours required and take the state issued certification exam. 

“Firefighter training, for firefighters, is a lot of hands on, and a lot of students like that,” instructor Jeff Akin said. “They don’t like just reading books and taking tests. So we learn certain things, and then we go and actually, physically do those things. It’s really good for students who like that because a lot of people learn better by seeing it and doing it hands on rather than just reading it in a book.”

Akin is a retired firefighter from the Tyler Fire Department, where he worked for 25 years. He has also worked at the East Texas Medical Center for five years with an ambulance service. He has taught fire technology courses at TJC for the past five years. 

“I’m just excited to learn everything about firefighting,” senior Caydne Walker said. “I’ve always kinda looked up to firefighters and first responders.”