The Student News Site of Lindale High School

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Football Players Participate in Decals With Dads Event

The varsity football team, coaches and dads of players all participated in Decals With Dads Tuesday in the high school cafeteria. This event has taken place since 2018 and provides a way for the players to bond with dads and coaches before the season officially begins. 

“Decals with Dads is a way for the athletes and their dads to get together and decorate their helmet for the season,” football coach Justin Mason said. “It’s a bonding time and a time for their dads, uncles, grandpas, whoever to just come and be there for them and learn what we do as a team.” 

During this time the players and coaches also have the opportunity to teach the dads the meanings behind the stickers. The back of the helmet states “Unity is the Secret” and the front states “All In,” both being very important statements to the players and coaches. 

“I allowed the seniors to vote on a sticker, and that’s what they picked, ‘All In’, because that’s what we represent– being uncommon and being committed,” head football coach Chris Cochran said. “Then ‘Unity is the Secret’–we just believe that you can’t be too close as a team, and the better your team is the better off you’re going to be as an individual.”

This event creates memories that many of the boys will carry with them into their futures. Arik Williams, former Lindale High School safety, participated in this event with his pastor who he describes as the father figure in his life. 

“It’s awesome to see this still playing out because dads are such an inspiration to these young guys, and it’s something they’ll never forget,” Williams said. “My pastor, Brother James, who was my dad in my life came up here  with me and that meant a lot because he led me spiritually and physically growing up.”

No matter whether you are a player or a trusted guardian, this event can be sentimental for all. This is especially true for the seniors who got to participate one last time.  

“As a senior, this is really important because our parents have supported us all of our lives, especially since this is the last time my dad can do something like this for me,” senior running back Wyatt Parker said. “My dad coming down and showing his support like this means a lot to me.” 

For the sophomores, they likely have two more years to participate in this activity. Their family and mentors can continue to step in and participate in this for years to come. 

“It’s my first time coming and I’m just looking forward to how things go for my son and his team this year,” Kevin Walker, father of sophomore Kaleb Walker, said. “I think it’s a great thing for the school to do. You don’t see this often, and it gives dads the opportunity to really connect with their sons before the season.”