The Student News Site of Lindale High School

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

Eagle Eye News

School Year Begins With Convocation 2023

Teachers and staff play Wheel of Fortune in a game with Mr. Surratt and Mr. Holder.

The beginning of the year Convocation was held with the entire faculty on Tuesday at the PAC. Leading off the event was Penny and the Spare Change, a band made up of principals Bryan Penny and Ryan Tomlin, as well as assistant principal Chad Hodges and Carl Worley. The meeting discussed the school’s high ratings and accomplishments, and special guest Flip Flippen spoke.

“My hope for the school year is for first and foremost, our staff and students can enjoy a safe, productive learning environment every day,” principal Jeremy Chilek said.
The new school year’s goals and strategic plans were shared by Superintendent Stan Surratt. He discussed the need for parents to get more involved as volunteers, how the district plans to grow in curriculum, safety, and  in building future facilities. Surratt went over the many highlights of the year such as the academic champions at every level and the many state qualifiers and winners in all categories.
“Last school year was another very successful one for LHS,” Chilek said. “We had so many organizations advance in the state playoffs and/or achieve exceptional levels of success.”
The district honored the elementary and secondary teacher’s of the year. Teachers Susan Penny and Crystal Morrison received $500 each from the Credit Union.
The Education Foundation was introduced  for their work raising money for classes. The foundation has been able to raise over one million dollars since it started.
“We are blessed with outstanding students and families at LHS,” Chilek said.

The choir sang a few songs and was introduced for their successes last year.
“I had really enjoyed singing for the teachers and staff,” sophomore Elijah Mcguire said. “I’m excited for the upcoming school year.”
Flippen gave a motivational speech about how people must rewrite their own stories and  not be defined by other people’s stories.
“Your kids come into the classroom believing they are defined by their past,” Flippen said. “When a kid says ‘I can’t do this,’ we should say ‘yet’,” Flippen said.