The Flock Takes Flight

The Flock Takes Flight

Students bring hype to games

For years the student section at sports games has steadily grown. Typically, two seniors will take on the title of “The Flock Leaders,” making it their mission to involve as much of the student body as possible at each sporting event.

“The Flock is one of the most fun groups I have been a part of throughout high school,” senior Flock leader Connery Churchill said. “You could describe it as a hype train ready to roll!”

Not only is The Flock an active participant in football season, the student section is also a presence at many sporting events throughout the school year. Multiple athletes have shared their praise to The Flock for the encouragement during their team’s season.

“Our student section is an expression of our student body’s school spirit,” senior Flock leader Chase Welvaert said. “I think The Flock being at games gives the teams a confidence in themselves to play better because they see that their fellow students believe in them to win.”

The popularity of the student section has surely increased in the past few years, attracting more of the student body to get involved. Crowds of nearly 100 students fill the stands at sporting events.

“Having The Flock [at our volleyball games] gets us really pumped up and excited to play,” senior Hannah Knox said. “It makes the game so much more fun when you have a big group cheering really loud for you. We definitely play better when they are obnoxiously loud and crazy.”

Student Flock leaders Churchill and Welvaert run a student section twitter page (@LHSTheFlock). Stay tuned for updates and announcements for upcoming sporting events and themes throughout the school year.

“My hope for The Flock this year is to take it to a level our school has never seen before,” Churchill said. “We plan to make every game as [excitable] as we can to give our teams the extra energy they need!”