Filed under A&E, News

What’s Old is New Again

Grace Yancey poses for a picture in her vintage outfit. Yancey uses clothes from the 70s and 80s to express herself.

Alanna Kologey

Alanna Kologey

Many students have adopted a vintage fashion this new school year. This trend has flourished over the last few years when celebrities began adorning the style.

“I really like [clothes] from the 80s and 90s,” senior Rachael Williams said. “I like some of the newer stuff, but I mostly like vintage from a few decades ago.”

The inspiration for this new fashion style is from parents who showcased their old clothing. Also celebrity influence has played a part in how these teens dress.

“My grandma has a lot of old clothes she use to make in the 80s and 70s,” junior Grace Yancey said. “[These clothes] are a really fun way to express myself.”

Teens find these unique pieces in parents and grandparents closets’, thrift shops or in vintage shops. The vintage style is affordable and makes it easy for teens on a budget.

“I thrift shop a lot,” senior Connery Churchill said. “[I] choose things I want to wear, not what everyone else wants me to wear.”

Dressing from a different era can cause a conversation because it is different. It allows also to explore a item of history.

“I wear vintage fashion because I can understand how people felt from whenever the article of clothing I’m wearing is. Also, it feels like I’m wearing a little bit of history, and that’s so special and unique.””

— Emma Cook

“I wear vintage fashion because I can understand how people felt from whenever the article of clothing I’m wearing is,” Emma Cook said. “Also, it feels like I’m wearing a little bit of history, and that’s so special and unique.”

This trend is all about self-expression in who you are as a person. You can start out simple and then venture out to more unique clothes.

“Start out with really comfortable clothing,” Williams said. “You can get inspiration by watching old movies or t.v. shows. If you like that style, just go for it.”