Lindale Hosts FFA Mineola Convention

Josey Derosier
FFA students pose for a group photo at the Mineola Convention. This was the last day for students in office.

FFA held the Mineola District FFA Convention on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the PAC. This event allows students to be recognized for achievements and vote for new delegates.

“Our school is going to be recognized for their achievements in the last year,” lead agriculture teacher DJ Wernecke said. “Seeing all these students connect and achieve things through this program is wonderful.”

Lindale FFA members competed in elections for district, chapter, and state roles. Schools within the Mineola district will participate in the convention. Lindale is hosting this event due to junior Lane Olds holding the title of district president. 

“There’s a lot to learn that you will take later in life,” Olds said. “This is the next step to advancing in your journey, this convention is kind of a stepping stone.”

Candidates in the elections delivered speeches during the convention that were then voted on by delegates. Each school gets one voter for every 50 students. Grace Potter was elected as a district officer and Bailey Gilleland gave a speech for Area officer.

“I want to help the younger people in FFA learn their spot,” Gilleland said. “I just want to help them connect to everybody through East Texas.”

Candidates must go through an interview process, tests, and a speech followed by a vote. The vote determined the top two candidates for each role. 

“The reason I enjoy it so much is because you meet so many new people and connect with people,” Jaclyn Brandon said. “You work as a team and you really get out there and get fiery.”

Olds, Brandon, and sophomore Bekah Soriano performed “Pretty Things” by Kat Hasty during the talent programs. They received first place and will be moving to area competitions.

“The experience during my performance was nerve racking, I was nervous,” Soriano. “In the end I just went on stage and did the best I could and had the most fun I could.”