Junior To Compete At Pebble Beach

Keren Lee
Junior Kenzie McClenny gets ready to putt the ball into the hole. Last year, McClenny went to State in golf.

Junior Kenzie McClenny will compete at Pebble Beach Golf Course in September. She will represent First Tee Greater Tyler in the tournament’s 20th anniversary.

“I am thrilled for Kenzie to get this experience,” golf coach Lindsay Kelly said. “She is such a deserving person because she works hard, always humble, and polite with everyone she meets.”

The competition will be a week long event with McClenny competing for four days with two practice rounds and activities in the evenings. On the first day, there will be a welcome dinner where players will find out what pro they will be playing with.

“I’m so ready to play at Pebble Beach,” McClenny said. “It’s an opportunity of a lifetime and I’m beyond excited plus a little nervous.”

McClenny was one of 80 participants selected from a local chapter to apply for the opportunity to play at Pebble Beach. She had to fill out an application that included essays, grades, golf scoring average, and an interview.

“The application process was very long and time consuming,” McClenny said. “I was very nervous during the interview with the local chapter to even get nominated to apply for the national level.”

The tournament will crown one female and one male competitor for the pro-junior team title. To get ready for the tournament, McClenny practices  in and after school and over the summer with her private coach in Hideaway.

“Playing golf is my favorite thing to do,” McClenny said. “I always strive to improve my skills and I’ve fallen in love with the game.”

McClenny has played golf since she was three years old. She began playing in tournaments at around the age of eight at First Tee. Now, she is in the Lady Eagles varsity golf team.

“After Pebble Beach, I’m going to focus on our Lindale Eagle golf season coming up,” McClenny said. “I’m working hard to help my team and I get to state again. I will also continue to participate in the First Tee Greater Tyler.”