The state qualifiers pose together. Their placements at regionals advanced them to the state competition.
Kylie Hester

Girls Powerlifting Medal at State

The Lady Eagle powerlifting team took nine girls to the THSWPA  state powerlifting competition in Corpus Christi on March 19. The team placed 12th overall in the state and had two medalists.

“I am very proud of the group of girls that competed in the THSWPA State Powerlifting Meet,” girls powerlifting coach Jacob Alford said. “They have been a lot of fun to coach this year.”

Senior La’launa Moffitt placed 3rd place in the 181 weight class and sophomore Zaniya Mumphrey placed 4th in the 220 weight class. Following them, senior Brianna Paredes placed 6th in the 220 weight class, junior Brittany Chavez placed 6th in the 132 weight class, and sophomore Whitleigh Hayes placed 7th in the 105 weight class.

“Being able to compete and medal at state is literally a dream come true,” Moffitt said. “I’ve worked hard these past few years and with the help of my coach and my amazing teammates, I was finally able to meet my goal of competing at state against the best of the best. Honestly, it was the perfect way to end my high school career hands down.”

Other girls who placed at the meet were sophomore Lauren Luce placing 10th in the 165 weight class, sophomore Gabby Cabrera placing 10th in the 259 weight class, senior Gabbi Flores placing 11th in the 165 weight class, and senior Rebekah Beard placing 12th in the 123 weight class.

“The best part about this group is that I never have to coach effort,” Alford said. “They work very hard each and every day. It is awesome to see them rewarded with the opportunity to compete at the State Meet.”