Choir Students perform at ACT VI
Choir Students perform at ACT VI
Adrienne Parks

Choir is their forte

Choir students recently attended  multiple tryouts for the fall season. Six students from Lindale attended the first meet, and all six of the participants advanced to the Pre-Area round of choir competitions. Those advancing from Lindale included Emma Harden, Jadyn Holt, Matthew Brooks, Nathan Steele, Patrick McClain and Josh Martin. Additionally, sophomore Daisy Duran earned a spot on the Region 21 HS Mixed Choir.  Holt made 3rd chair soprano, Brooks made 1st chair tenor, and Steele made 5th chair tenor and will  compete for a spot at the area choir auditions in Waco January 7.

“The preparation (for All-Region) can be difficult and time-consuming,” senior Jadyn Holt said. “You need to learn five pieces of music in different languages, and practice everyday. Hard work and motivation to learn music is key.”

The tryout process and practices can be very grueling for both students and directors. Along with learning five pieces in different languages, they must practice extensively. At the competition, the contestants must sing parts of the memorized music, and then sight read an 8 measure bar of music.

“There is definitely a lot of preparation involved,” junior Patrick McClain said. 

The choir group has had four directors in the past three years, the most recent being Mr. Casey Halbgewachs. The students as a whole are hoping for improvement from last year and hope to compete in the UIL Concert and sight reading competition for the first time in two years.

I am really enjoying the students here at Lindale – we have some great students who are very talented,” Halbgewachs said. “My hope is to make this a true choral (group) experience for the students.”

Choir students perform at ACT VIAdrienne Parks
Choir students perform at ACT VI