College Readiness Coach Helps Seniors

Paula Arantes
College Readiness Coach Brian Russell answers questions a student has about the future. He is in room 105 every Friday to help answer any questions.

UT Tyler college readiness coach Brian Russell will be in room 105 every Friday from periods 2-7 to answer any questions seniors may have. 

“The heart of what I do is not only to help seniors be prepared for college but for the other grades to also be prepared,” Russell said. “I want them to be equipped to enroll in universities.”

Russell is helping students in their application process for college. Additionally, he is giving advice for seniors to be financially ready by guiding them through the federal student aid application and how to earn scholarships.

My biggest piece of advice that I could share with incoming college freshmen is that they have the ability to do anything that you put your mind to,” Russell said. “All they need to do is take initiative and be intentional with their time.”

The top 25% will gain automatic admission to UT Tyler.  The application fee is $60; however, it will be waived off if students visit Russell.

“UT Tyler provides great opportunities for each student depending on their grades and status,” Russell said. “I discuss the options every student should take to benefit them when they get into college so they can leave with little to no debt.”

Students need a minimum of 2.75 GPA and an official high school transcript sent by the school registrar to get into UT Tyler.  Additionally, seniors are required to have an SAT score between 1010-1210 or an ACT score of 19-24.

“Helping the students apply for colleges brings me joy that I can help others with their future,” Russell said. “I hope that my efforts and work can allow students to successfully apply to colleges.”

Some of the questions he has answered for students include housing situations such as costs and finding roommates. Additionally, he answers questions about application waiver options.

“Housing in UT Tyler is a fun way to get involved,” Russell said. “It is a great way to get involved with the community we’ve built in each campus.”