“Dakota”
“Dakota”
Josey Derosier

Academic Rodeo Art Contest Results

In November, students submitted art pieces to the Academic Rodeo art contest. The competition was judged by TJC Art Club volunteers and results were announced in early January.  

“I hope that students grew in confidence and developed a good work ethic. The competition timeline required students to settle on an idea quickly and get to work diligently.”

— Art teacher Rebecca Harrison

“I hope that students grew in confidence and developed a good work ethic,” art teacher Rebeccah Harrison said. “The competition timeline required students to settle on an idea quickly and get to work diligently.”

In the 9th grade category, Josey Derosier placed first with her piece titled “Dakota.” Mia Hayes won an award for best use of color with her piece titled “Dusk at the Fair.”

“I have learned many things from academic rodeo, it was my first art competition,” freshman Mia Hayes said. “I feel as an artist it is good to participate in it at least a few times. That being said, the biggest thing I learned is that your work is not for everyone.”

In the 10th grade category, Jaden Roquemore won 1st place and the best drawing award for his piece “Gone but not Forgotten.” Story Korack won an award for best use of color with the piece titled “Prophecy.”

“The Academic Rodeo art competition taught me the importance of committing to a project and believing in your capabilities as an artist,” freshman Josey Derosier said. “The portrait I entered is three months worth of work, and believe me, I thought about quitting more than once. I never thought I would even be recognized by the judges.”

In the 11th grade category, Alisa Thane received an award for most suitable title for her piece “Bohemian Bouquet.” In the 12th grade category, Kenli Summer received an honorable mention award for her piece “Brighter Shadows.”

“I am very excited for our top placing students,” Harrison said. “They now have the opportunity to compete for a scholarship due to their high placement.”