Sixth period art students pose in front of their art murals.
Keren Lee

October Art Recap

This school year, the art classes have participated in their cardboard sculpture display and memory projects. These projects took place in Rebecca Harrison and Jaime Mowery’s art classes.

I hope that students experience growth this year; in whichever areas and aspects they hope to grow, as artists and people,” Harrison said. “My goal is to push them to see growth in their creative process, the media they use and the ideas they want to express.”

The advanced art classes have been working on the cardboard sculptures for about two weeks. All sculptures are made out of primarily recycled cardboard and they will be displayed around the school on Thursday.

“These sculptures took a lot of time and work, but I’ve had a lot of fun making mine,” junior Blaire Gano said.

“I love my art class. It is definitely one of my favorite classes of the day.”

The memory project took place to send creative, heartfelt art pieces to children around the world. Most students have wrapped up their projects and are in the process of sending them out.

“I have participated in the memory project since freshman year,” junior Julia Montgomery said. “Whenever it rolls around each year, I always enjoy participating because it makes such a big impact on the kids that receive our artwork.”

Next week, advanced art students will begin a special effects makeup unit. Students will use face paint and makeup on their own skin to create special effects.

“Art was something I signed up for reluctantly, but I have grown to really enjoy it,” sophomore Jackson Pullin said. “I’ve made a lot of friends and memories that will last.”