Junior Jocelyn Castillo and Sophomore Julia Montgomery receive medals for their works of art.

Art Students Place at State

Junior Jocelyn Castillo and sophomore Julia Montgomery earned a top rank and received a medal at the State Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) on May 1. The competition took place at San Marcos High School.

“I am so incredibly proud of my students for the artwork they presented at VASE this year, even at the district and area level,” art teacher Rebecca Harrison said. “I couldn’t be more proud of Jocelyn and Julia for advancing and medaling at State VASE.  This year is one of the most successful years that LHS has had a VASE in the past decade.”

Earning this award has put them in the top 5% of over 31,000 entries that were entered this year. Not only did they have to do the piece, they also had to submit a paragraph with a detailed explanation of their technique and interpretation of the piece. 

“I was stunned,” Castillo said. “I was satisfied with what I placed in VASE, but I didn’t think my piece would receive so much recognition.”

Students work all year long by preparing different art pieces, and they begin the selection of their work for the competition in December to be later judged. Castillo was able to place with the submission of her painting named, “Earth Boy,” and Montgomery placed with her sculpture called, ““The Crowning of a God”. 

I was pretty happy when I found out,” Montgomery said. “[I’m also] kind of relieved that I was good enough to get to state and medal there too.”