Sophomore Cole Collinsworth warms up before the game.
Photo by Jesika Miller

Sports Recap Jan. 19 – Jan. 24

The varsity boys basketball team played against Spring Hill and won 61-54 in overtime. Senior Justin Farris had a pair of three pointers in the first quarter, and junior Amare Baptiste scored five points within the second quarter. In the game against Cumberland, they had a 28 point lead in the third quarter and won with a score of 58-29.

Our team is playing well and is in the thick of the playoff hunt,” head basketball coach Chistopher Grotemat said. “We have shown dramatic improvement since the Christmas holiday and have a great chance to make the playoffs this season.”

On the girls’ basketball side, they also won the games against Spring Hill with a 69-25 score. Sophomore Marley Keith scored 20 points with 3 assists for the team, and senior Brenly Philen scored 10 points with 4 deflections. They also won against Cumberland with a score of 59-23. Junior Desirae Pennington and sophomore Allie Davenport both had a charge against Cumberland, and Keith had four assists and six steals. Junior Brooke Everest scored 18 points for the team and had 11 deflections within the game.

Our girls basketball team has had an incredible season,” head girls basketball coach Daniel Devissher said. “It’s been an incredible season and I am very proud of this team. Our girls have stepped up to each challenge one game at a time.  They have lived up to our program standard of getting better every day.”

For boys soccer, they tied against Hallsville with a score of 0-0. On the girls soccer team, they were tied as well against Athens with a 2-2 score.

We are doing really well considering we are starting five freshmen,” Head boys soccer coach Jason Lawless said. “We have only lost three games so far and won six. This team is jelling fast and playing some great soccer. We have a talented team with a big bench. Winning another district championship is our goal.”