This is the window mural that the art club painted for the Smith County Commissioners Court.
Photo courtesy of Kayla Curry Wright

Art Club Wins Local Honors

The Art Club won the People’s Choice Award for painting their Smith County Commissioners Window Mural, and will be recognized Jan. 25 at the Smith County Commissioners Court. The  court donated a $200 prize to the club for their mural.

“I am incredibly proud of the work our students have accomplished across the board this year,” art teacher Rebecca Harrison said. “I couldn’t be more proud of the job our students do.”

On Dec. 2nd, Harrison took six students to the Smith County Annex Building to paint a winter-themed window mural for the Smith County Commissioners Court. In six hours it was finished. The mural won in the Downtown Tyler Window Decorating Competition.

“Painting the mural is a memory that I’ll never forget,” sophomore Ireland Cornejo said. “It was fun to take my art out of the classroom and put it in the real world.”

The club also performed extremely well in their academic rodeo competition. Out of the eight students who participated from Lindale, every single one of them were recognized for their art work. Senior Hannah Schafer won first place overall and had most original concept. 

“I was absolutely shocked when I learned that I won first place, ” Schafer said. “Art has really helped me become the person I am today.”