Filed under A&E, News

New Choir Director Hits High Notes

Baham+sets+up+his+work+space+in+the+choir+room.++He+built+the+program+at+Bullard+over+the+last+six+years+before+moving+to+Lindale.+
Baham sets up his work space in the choir room.  He built the program at Bullard over the last six years before moving to Lindale.

Baham sets up his work space in the choir room. He built the program at Bullard over the last six years before moving to Lindale.

Carter Colvin

Carter Colvin

Teacher Kerry Baham was hired in June to replace Casey Halbgewachs as choir director in the choir program. Baham plans to build the program and possibly add some additional academic music classes.

“Mr. H was a friend of mine,” Baham said. “When he knew he was leaving, he called me to see if there was anyway I could come up here and help y’all out. I had only heard great things about Lindale and Lindale’s kids since I lived in the Tyler area for over 20 years, so I agreed.”

Baham plans to begin building the program this year by having students in the chorale compete in the All-Region competition on September 29. In the spring, students will also compete in UIL concert and sight reading in addition to Solo and Ensemble.

“I am most excited about going to competitions and learning how to develop my voice in new ways,” freshman Sarah Richardson said. “I believe the choir will grow as more people learn about who we are, what we’re doing and where we are headed with our singing.”

I believe the choir will grow as more people learn about who we are, what we’re doing and where we are headed with our singing.”

— Sarah Richardson

Next year, Baham plans to start two new music classes including AP music theory for juniors and seniors in addition to an on-level course for freshmen and sophomores. These classes will introduce an academic approach to music theory which will prepare future music majors for university level courses.

“I am thrilled to sing a higher level of difficulty in songs,” senior Grace Fischer said. “This year I have a chance to progress further in competitions than I have before.”

Spending the last six years at Bullard High School, Baham built the program starting with only nine students. Since then, their choir program has won multiple UIL sweepstakes along with producing All-State singers. He plans to accomplish the same goals in our program as he has in other East Texas schools in the area.  

“We have been very blessed that teachers seek us out,” Principal Valerie Payne said. “I always hope that who we hire is accepted by the kids, and I hope that they see the greatness in that teacher the way we do during the interview process.”