Students work to sort items
Students work to sort items
Photo courtesy of Jennifer King

Money Matters classes work with East Texas Food Bank

The Money Matters classes took a field trip to the East Texas Food Bank Wednesday as part of a learning experience related to giving back. Students worked for community service and calculated how effective their time was spent there.

“Money Matters is Dave Ramsey’s financial literacy course,” Money Matters teacher Jennifer King said. “Part of Dave’s strategy is to take good enough care of your finances that you are able to live and give to others.”

Students are learning about money and relationships in their current chapter. This trip was intended to show students that there are people that are less fortunate around them, and to provide an opportunity to give back to the community.

“I know the goal for my kids is that this will make them more aware,” Money Matters teacher David French said. “It really is about society as a whole and it’s our duty to help those who are less fortunate.”

I’m looking forward to being able to know that I’m helping my community and giving back to others who really need it.

— Nate Steele

49 students attended the field trip. As part of their experience, participants volunteered for three hours at the Food Bank to make backpacks and summer breakfasts for kids.

“The work the students performed at the ETFB also generated “money” for the David Powell Community Food Pantry in the form of a credit applied to our food orders,” warehouse manager Larry Wilson said.

The students documented their time at the Food Bank to determine what they earned for the Lindale Food Bank at the Methodist Church. At the end of the day, students received a big “pay-check” that showed how much money was raised (in product) for the cause.

“Before, I really didn’t know how to manage money very well, but this class has helped me so much,” senior student Nate Steele said. “I’m looking forward to being able to know that I’m helping my community and giving back to others who really need it.”

The students created 10,766 meals, earned $150 for the David Powell food bank in Lindale, and $75 for the Lindale Backpack program.

“I’m unable to find the words to express how proud I am to know these kids and to be part of a school system and community that gives so much of themselves to everyone,” Wilson said.