Whitney Crews named the 2015 Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year

LINDALE – Today, Whitney Crews was honored with the state’s top teaching award for providing her students with a sense of hope, a love for learning, and endless possibilities for their future. The Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA) has named Crews the 2015 Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year.
Crews is a sixth-grade Science and Social Studies teacher at E.J. Moss Intermediate in Lindale ISD, with 18 years of experience in the classroom. Crews learned of her top honor at a special ceremony and luncheon at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin, sponsored by TASA. Crews will receive a cash award, a commemorative trophy and other prizes.
Crews has been recognized by the community and school district for numerous achievements throughout her 18-year teaching career including being a four-time recipient of Lindale ISD Education Foundation’s teaching grants and a two-time recipient of the district’s Teacher of the Month award. Her expansive leadership activities have included being a subject leader in which she assists in planning and developing curriculum in her subject area, University Interscholastic League (UIL) coach and judge in writing and social studies competitions, new teacher mentor, serving on school parent involvement and technology action teams, and providing professional development for staff to name a few.
“The entire staff of Lindale ISD is so proud of Mrs. Crews,” said Lindale ISD Superintendent Stan Surratt. “She will be a wonderful representative for our district and the entire state of Texas. Her love for her students and love for teaching sets her apart from other
educators. She is truly a blessing to all of her students and everyone associated with Lindale ISD.”
Each year, two teachers from each of the 20 regional Education Service Centers become eligible for two titles, Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year and Texas Secondary Teacher of the Year. To achieve recognition, a teacher must first be chosen as a campus and a district Teacher of the Year, and ultimately a regional honoree. From this group of 40 regional teachers, six finalists are chosen and are interviewed by and independent panel of judges. The state’s top elementary and secondary teachers are selected from these six outstanding finalists.
-#-