Senior Vivian Lehmann competes in the editorial event. Shes one of many to compete.
Senior Vivian Lehmann competes in the editorial event. She’s one of many to compete.
Julia Montgomery

Journalism Team Competes in Cen-Tex UIL Event

The UIL Journalism  team competed in a virtual competition featuring schools from around the state  on November 30 at the high school. Everyone placed in their events.

“I’m really excited,”journalism coach Neda Morrow said. “When you look at the results, we had a lot of medals in every category, including first place medals.”

The Central Texas Invitational competition  is led by the state UIL Journalism Director and the Texas Association of Journalism Educators. Over 1900 students competed in this competition and in Lindale’s division there were 89 student entries.

“The team is currently made up of what I call a JV and a varsity which means there are return members on varsity and the JV is a new set of kids who have never competed before this year,” Morrow said. “All of them medaled at some point in the competition.”

In the Copy Editing competition Vivian Lehmann placed first, Julia Montgomery placed sixth, and Kylie Hester placed ninth.

In the Editorial Writing competition Vivian Lehmann placed first, Lian Boone placed second, Jesika Miller placed fourth, Marlee Sorrells placed fifth, and Kylie Hester placed sixth.

In the Feature Writing competition Jesika Miller placed third, Lian Boone placed fourth, Henrique Arantes placed fifth, Marlee Sorrells placed seventh, Vivian Lehmann placed eighth, and Charlotte McConathy placed ninth.

In the Headline competition Julia Montgomery placed first, Vivian Lehmann placed second, Jaida Jones placed third, Lian Boone placed fifth, and Jesika Miller placed sixth.

In the News Writing competition Lian Boone placed third, Kylie Hester placed fourth, Marlee Sorrells placed fifth, Charlotte McConathy placed sixth, and Christian Wynn placed ninth.

“I really enjoy competing in UIL journalism,” sophomore Jaida Jones said. “It’s my first year competing and I’ve surprisingly done very well.”