The lunch lady gives students the food that they ordered.
Sam Lee

Bond Update: The New Cafeteria

As the sun wakes up, cafeteria manager Shannon Stevens is already at the school managing the daily operations of the cafeteria. From ovens humming and pans hitting the tabletop, the food service workers all head to their stations. As a crack of light appears from the horizon, the morning rush of hungry students head to have their first meal of the day. 

As a result of the bond, the school renovated the cafeteria’s kitchen to have more space, up-to-date equipment and smoother operating procedures to ensure an effective way to serve all students. Stevens manages the daily operations of the cafeteria and ensures that everything is running smoothly.

“I like the new workplace–it’s new; it’s up to date and everything is running smoothly so far,” Stevens said. “We’ve got more space and new equipment to cook everything better and quicker.”

Some features are unique this year compared to other schools. LHS is the first school in the state of Texas to receive and use an iCombi Pro oven.

“We got a Combi oven, and the special thing about this oven is that it cooks and bakes the food without taking moisture out of it,” Stevens said. “A combination of Mr. Surratt, Mr. Holder, and Child Nutrition Director Cynthia McClenny determined the equipment and design of the cafeteria.”

The students get to experience the new lunch room with improvements such as new lunch tables and more space to eat. This also enables students to be more distant during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“I really enjoy the lunch lines,” senior Matthew Abrameit said. “The lunch lines open up the cafeteria and make it much more professional and a lot more inviting.”