The student section roars after lindale scores a point during the basketball game. I love the energy that I get to show with my friends for the basketball team. Junior Jared Maeker said.
The student section roars after lindale scores a point during the basketball game. “I love the energy that I get to show with my friends for the basketball team.” Junior Jared Maeker said.
Hope Nelms

School Spirit Leaders Focus on Increasing Participation and Support

The student section vibrates the stands at the basketball. The ball dribbles down the court, five seconds on the clock. The cheerleaders chant their last cheer, the student section dies down. Pure silence, only the squeaking of the shoes could be heard. The player stands on the three-point line and shoots, the students are on their toes unable to contain their energy. Three, two, one, swish. The crowd roars, and the energy of the students overwhelm the gym. 

School spirit is determined by the student body, appreciating and supporting the school’s sports and academics and the work that they go through, especially during competitions and sporting events. 

“I would describe school spirit as the student section getting hype for the game just supporting whoever is playing,” senior Ethan Thornton said. “When you support your teammates and the school lets the student section support and dress up with whatever the theme is and be as loud as they can.”

“I would describe school spirit as the student section getting hype for the game and supporting whoever is playing. The student section support and dress up with whatever the theme is and be as loud as they can.”

Thornton is a leader in the student-led spirit group that supports our school in many ways.  Known as “The Flock” or “The Nest,” the student section has increased its support at games over the last few years.  

“I run the student section basketball Twitter account; it’s called ‘The Nest,’ and I just posted on Twitter how to show up and dress out and support,” Thornton said. “I support the basketball team because during football season the basketball players just come out and support us.”

Junior Caitlin Bethany is a varsity cheerleader. She expresses her school spirit the most when she cheers during the basketball games and by creating signs for the halls to encourage others to show their spirit as well.  

“I feel like it’s something every high school student should do,” Bethany said. “I like being involved [and] I’m always doing things for organizations [to get] them riled up and have fun.”