Martin (left) and Harris (right) hold their scholarships for $20,000 each that they won in the bass competition.  The team reeled in 40.22lbs of fish over the two days of competition.
Martin (left) and Harris (right) hold their scholarships for $20,000 each that they won in the bass competition. The team reeled in 40.22lbs of fish over the two days of competition.

Juniors Reel-In Fishing Scholarships

Mark Harris and Reece Martin were awarded $20,000 scholarships after competing in the Texas High School Bass Association State Championship. They competed against the top 220 teams in Texas and weighed in 40.22 lbs over 2 days.

“I am very proud of Mark and Reece,” Joey King, Lindale Eagles Bass Club sponsor, said. “These young men fought hard and stayed consistent all season. They finished in 2nd place on Lake Palestine this season, followed up by a strong 4th place finish for Angler of the Year in our Region. To further their success, they won the State Championship by a margin of 4 pounds. Again, I couldn’t be more proud of these anglers and their accomplishments this year.”

Harris and Martin have been attending various fishing tournaments since their Freshman year with King advising them. This is their first victory in the fishing tournaments in their three years of participating.

“Every year we go out fishing in these high school’s tournaments,” Martin said. We’re always looking to win one. We haven’t really gotten a win up until this moment, so we won at the best tournament to win. We’re super excited for that.”

The duo is allowed to use their scholarship in any school of choice. The two plan on attending a school that allows them to pursue their fishing career after high school, and will likely be attending the same school.

“We’re super excited,” said Harris. “It’s like a dream come true to us. We’re both planning on talking to Dallas Baptist University and East Texas Baptist University because they’re the two schools in Texas that have big fishing teams.”