Junior Braeleigh Flickinger uses Instagram to sell her clothes. Her account is @braesclothes.
Bailey Spencer

Students Use Social Media as a Marketplace

Over the span of a few months, students have used social media to market personal items. These students created  Instagram accounts to sell their unwanted  personal items to earn extra money.

I had seen other people selling their clothes on Instagram, and I even bought some things for myself off of other accounts,” participating junior Ally Perkins said. “When it was time to clean out my closet, it seemed like the easiest way to get the message out.”

Many opportunities are becoming available as the second semester and the summer draw near. Students are using their profits for upcoming University Interscholastic League expenses, work retreats and personal gain.

“I will be traveling a lot the next coming months with speech and debate and  FFA,” participating junior Ashlyn Ellgass said. “A little extra cash for meals or extra supplies always helps.”

Students who are on these platforms determine their price by the brand, if the item has been worn and if it is in style. Senior Kalli Baze also considers what she would be willing to pay for clothes sold online. 

I think it is a very good idea to sell clothes online because it allows anyone and everyone to view and shop for clothes. It is a good way to get nice brands for a fraction of the price.

— Joy Nelms

I used to go to Plato’s Closet and sell my clothes, but I ended up always getting barely anything for the clothes I brought,” Baze said. “Within the first two days of posting clothes, I’ve made about $100.”

Once clothes are bought, the participating students can deliver their bought clothes at school or somewhere within the community. Buyers out of state or out of city can even have their clothes shipped to them.

I think it is a very good idea to sell clothes online because it allows anyone and everyone to view and shop for clothes,” junior Joy Nelms said. “It is a good way to get nice brands for a fraction of the price.”