Filed under News, Showcase

Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

Neda Morrow
Student council members each take a balloon with the name of 9/11 victim written on a tag tied to the bottom. All the balloons were later released into the air similtaniously as snare drums played in the background.

On September 11, Student Council members attended a ceremony in downtown Tyler commemorating the events that took place on September 11, 2001. Many other schools located in Smith County attended the event which started at 7:00 a.m., corresponding with the time the twin towers were hit on 9/11.

There is one great lesson we all can learn when a nation comes together as we did on September 11, 2001,” Reverend James Dill, one of the organizers of the event,  said. “Unity prevails.”

In addition to remembering those who were affected by the tragic events that took place on 9/11, the purpose of the ceremony was to honor all first responders for their services. Local first responders made an entrance to the ceremony in their associated vehicles while a drumline marched and played behind them. 

We need to continue to have ceremonies like this,” Student Council Director Pamela Price said. “Future generations need to understand the effect that 9/11 had on our country and the importance of our first responders.”

Well known Lindale firefighter, Joe Yeakley, was honored at the ceremony for his service and sacrifice as a first responder. To many in the local area he is known as a hero after surviving being badly burned during a house fire that happened three years ago.

“I have always been very proud of Joe as a first responder who has made many sacrifices to help others,” Denise Yeakley, English teacher and wife of Joe Yeakley said. “To me, all first responders and military personnel are symbols of courage and perseverance.  We can all look at Joe’s life and be encouraged that we can overcome obstacles, even when life takes us on an unexpected detour.”

Patriotic songs such as “God Bless the USA”, performed by Reverend James Daniels, and “God Bless America,” led by Senator Bryan Hughes, were sung during the ceremony as all students held up miniature American flags out of respect for the nation and those currently in the armed forces. The ceremony was concluded by each student releasing a balloon into the air with the name of a 9/11 victim tied to the string.

“It means a lot to me to know that our city, neighbors, first responders, and schools can come together to remember the tragedy that happened,”  Student Council President Amanda Reed said. We all can can come together to remember the ones that lost their lives to save others. It made me happy to see that.”

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Student Council Attends 9/11 Event”

1. Blanca on September 29th, 2017 1:02 pm

what happened on 9/11 it was horrible and difficult to forget. it important to do that kind of things to remember every person who has there or who did something to help.

2. Caroline Phillips on September 29th, 2017 1:08 pm

Very inspiring to hear about this.

3. Simon Young on September 29th, 2017 1:25 pm

This article was very detailed, it was very true to the story, and was very well written. The transition containing the information concerning Joe Yeakley was done well, and i feel it was the perfect way to grab local readers attention.

*

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

News

Homecoming Queen Nominees Prepare to be Crowned

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Varsity Boys Basketball to Play Mabank at American Airlines Center in Dallas

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

News

Life Skills Instructor Implements Real-World Skills Through Education Foundation Grant

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

Accomplishments

Senior Life Skills Student Competes In Tyler Triathlon

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

News

Students Serve at Hope Haven Gala

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Baseball Boys Give Back

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

CTE (Career and Tech)

Junior Builds Website to Map Students’ Classes

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

Accomplishments

Newspaper and Yearbook Students Named to the All-State Journalism Staff

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

A&E

What’s Old is New Again

• Student Council Attends 9/11 Event

Featured Sports Story Carousel

The Flock Takes Flight

Student Council Attends 9/11 Event