• Lindale ISD will be closed on Wednesday, January 17th.

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

Life Skills Goes to Prom

Students dance at special needs prom. Around 300 students from towns all across East Texas took part in the dance.

Penelope Straus

Penelope Straus

The students from the Life Skills class went to prom in Longview at the Maude Cobb Convention and Activity Center on April 28. Students from towns all across East Texas took part in the dance, totalling out at approximately 300 attendees.

“They talked about the dance for weeks beforehand,” Life Skills teacher Kristi Rozell said. “They were so proud of themselves. I just can’t explain how happy everyone was, it just was a great time for everyone. ”

It was really nice to see the students actually having fun with other people other than just us.”

— Rhonda Aubuchon

The Harrison County Co-Op has been putting on this dance for years, but students from Lindale only starting attending last year. The two teacher’s aides that regularly work with the class accompanied the students to prom as well as three members from Key Club.

“It was so much fun,” teacher’s aid Rhonda Aubuchon said. “It was really nice to see the students actually having fun with other people other than just us. Some of them got to make new friends, and they danced with people they’d never seen before.”

A photo area was set up so that students could pose with props and even characters like Elvis for group or individual pictures. Most students stated that out of everything the prom had to offer, their favorite part was just getting to dance with their friends.

“Prom is my favorite event the Life Skills class does,” student helper Cameron Wildt said. “I think I like it better than my prom to be honest. It’s amazing to see the kids dancing, having fun and just being themselves without worrying about what people will think or say. They’re just there to have fun, and it shows.”

For the students that couldn’t get enough of the sparkly dresses, exciting songs and forever memories, the people in charge of the Life Skills class plan to continue participating in this prom every year.

“My favorite part was just the excitement of it all–the music, the glam, the dancing and not having any boundaries, they just felt free,” teacher’s aid Tawana Peel said. “I think this is great and it’s worked out great. I think it’s going to be in the future from now on.”