LHS students named to All-State Journalism Staff

The University Interscholastic League recently announced that senior Kelsey Crews, juniors Tyra Rodden and Adrienne Parks, and 2016 graduate, Lucas Bonds were named to the 2015-2016 All-State Journalism Staff for their achievements in journalism last year.

“High school journalists who go above and beyond the classroom assignments earn the elite title of All-State staff,” Jeanne Acton, UIL director of journalism, said. “Students work long hours to prepare for contests and produce quality publications. We have some of the best scholastic journalism in the nation because of our dedicated students and advisers.”

Becoming a member of the All-State Journalism Staff requires students to accumulate points over the year from UIL journalism competitions and other writing contests, both statewide and nationwide. Once a student reaches 50 points, they are eligible to apply to UIL to become a member of the staff.

“It was quite gratifying to be awarded the privilege of becoming an All State Journalism Staff member,” Parks said. “It was something I competed for and worked diligently to achieve.”

Lindale team members went to numerous practice meets and other competitive events, including district, regional, and even state UIL events.

“I would never have competed in UIL journalism if it was not for [my journalism teacher and coach] Mrs. Morrow,” Crews said. “I’m not sure what she saw in me when I first started, but I’m glad she did, because so many good things have come out of it since then.”

The staff was created by former UIL journalism director, Randy Vonderheid. It is meant to recognize students for their work and success in writing and scholastic journalism.

“Journalism is much more than writing words on paper,” Parks said. “It encompasses so many other aspects that can shape and develop a person into an intelligent, informed, curious being. It is worth it to partake in the world of journalism.”  

View Comments (1)