Photo by Neda Morrow
Photo by Neda Morrow
Neda Morrow

Junior named to All-State Journalism Staff

The University Interscholastic League recently announced that current junior Kelsey Crews, and 2015 graduates Bethany Thompson, Lily Hering, and Michaela Blanchard were named to the 2014-2015 All-State Journalism staff.

“The staff was created to recognize those journalism students who have gone above and beyond to improve their writing and reporting abilities,” Jeanne Acton, UIL Director of Journalism said.

To become a member of the All-State Journalism Staff, students must accumulate points over the year based on their achievements at UIL journalism competition and other writing and publication contests, both statewide and nationwide.  Then students apply to UIL to become a member of the staff.

“High school journalism students spend many nights and weekends preparing the school publications for distribution as well as preparing for writing competitions,” Acton said.  “Through scholastic journalism, students learn not only writing skills, but also communication skills and organizational skills.”

The staff was created by former UIL journalism director, Randy Vonderheid.  “I saw a need to recognize these students for their work and success in writing and presentation, and this should be a successful way,” Vonderheid said.

“I am very proud of Kelsey’s achievements in journalism,” Principal Casey Neal said. “Her hard work and dedication to the UIL program prove her to be an outstanding student and positive role model for LHS.”

View Comments (1)