Students partner with Economic Development Council

The Lindale Economic Development Council and the Lindale High School Engineering class partnered this spring to design and present a commercial building plan to promote growth in the Lindale Industrial Park located off of Interstate 20 near the Target Distribution Center.

The plan will be featured on the LEDC website as a promotion for  incoming businesses.

John Clary, former president of the LEDC,  provided the guidelines and recommended specifications for the building.  Four students participated in the design contest and were judged in four categories for the 25000 square foot building, and Clary worked weekly with the students on the project.

“It was a great opportunity to work with LISD and the high school students,” Clary said. “We hope the outcome of the project will help promote the industrial park and Lindale.”

To prepare for the project,  Clary provided a trip to the Fed Express building currently located and operating in the park.  The students were allowed to ask questions, take pictures and notes.  The Fed Ex manager, Todd Roberts, conducted the tour and answered relevant questions about the project which allowed the students to understand the overall goal of a commercial building.

Two students were awarded scholarships for their work on the project,  Hagen Brooks and Lucas Bonds.  Sponsoring the scholarships was local businessman, Jerry Alexander, of Red Baron Building Company.  Red Baron has been a long-time supporter of the LHS Career and Technology department.

“It’s a great opportunity for the students to be placed in a real world problem-solving situation and help our community as well,” LISD Engineering teacher Brent Berryman said.