Ghostbusters: A Frozen Empire Movie Review

“Who you gonna call?” is a line many recognize from the classic movie franchise Ghostbusters. The franchise began in the 80s and it’s about a team of scientists who lose their positions at a university in New York City and decide to fight the supernatural for money. The sequel continues and we watch them terminate ghosts with their high tech guns. Back in 2016, directors attempted to bring the franchise back to life but were unsuccessful. Yet, they tried again in 2021 with Ghostbuster: Afterlife and it was a success. This year, a continuation of this movie was made, but I personally did not like it as much. 

While the editing and the CGI were ok, there were some flaws in the storyline and the characters’ dumb issues caused disasters. Additionally, the biggest flaw I saw in this movie was how passionate Phoebe was about wanting to be a ghostbuster, but two seconds later she befriends Melody, a ghost that she should have terminated. Another flaw in the movie was how the firehouse and laboratory should prevent ghosts from entering, yet Melody was able to enter it. Not only was that unrealistic, the carelessness of the characters, who are supposed to be professional, qualified scientists, took care of the orb as if it was a tennis ball. There were also some random things added in the movie as Nadeem discovers he’s a fire bender. That was a super random plot to add to the movie as they did not develop it at all. The way the writers wrote, they expected the audience to believe that an average guy was able to fight the supernatural after his training was barely lighting a candle with a lighter. Lastly, this movie did not feel like a ghostbusters movie. It felt like a reference to the ghostbusters but the movie did not feel like it was about the team. The whole movie was focused on Phoebe and her issues rather than capturing ghosts.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is a movie I would not recommend. It veered off the plot and did not have a smooth transition from Ghostbusters: Afterlife. This movie earns a 2/5 . rating from me. If you are interested in watching a ghost hunters movie, the original sequel from the 80s is the way to go.