2024 Album Review

2024 has presented us with a multitude of new music albums. Fans have gone crazy for new releases from artists old and new. Taylor Swift, Conan Gray, and Lizzy Mcalpine are just a few of the above mentioned artists. Listed below are reviews of some of the many albums that have come out this year as well as an overview of what the album presents and how fans have reacted.

• Taylor Swift: The Tortured Poets Department – April 19, 2024
  • As well as the Anthology, released at 2am

The Tortured Poets Department is about the five stages of grief one goes through after a break up; how people base their entire lives around love, a feeling that can just melt away.  This album follows the break up of Swift and her 6 year relationship with Joe Alwyn. Yet, shortly after the break up Swift had a short, rumored relationship with Matty Healy; therefore, some songs are said to be about him. Taylor swift, known for her methodical hints, and “Easter eggs”, released TTPD as a double album. The album holds a whopping total of 31 songs; 15 came out at midnight while 16 more came out at 2 am. Fans have said if you enjoy Swift’s albums: Folklore, Midnights, and Evermore then you will enjoy this album; it’s a mix of the vibes of those three albums.

I personally love Taylor Swift, but I also know how to give an unbiased opinion on her music. I can fully admit that some of her songs are not to my tastes, but this album has to be one of my favorites. Folklore has been my favorite album of hers for as long as I can remember, and I love how similar these two albums are. Sad, slow music is the genre I enjoy the most, so if you’re anything like me you will also highly enjoy this album. Not all of the songs are about breakups and hurting, some are more uplifting and centered around healing and success. All in all, I personally believe this is her best album and just shows how much she has grown from everything she’s gone through, no matter how hard. The variety of songs makes it more relatable than some of her others.

1. Olivia Rodrigo: GUTS (spilled) September 8, 2024

GUTS (Spilled) is an additional deluxe album that contains five bonus tracks that came out after the release of the album GUTS in March. The album, Olivia said, gained its name because “Guts” can mean bravery, and “trusting your gut”. With that being said, “spilling your guts” is like telling everyone your secrets. It is about all teenage phases: heartbreak, stereotypes, and just life in general, whereas SOUR, her first album, was more focused around relating to how tough break ups can be. 

I personally think this album has shown a lot of growth and maturity in Olivia. SOUR, while being a great album, it is a bit slow and very sad. GUTS, although, is quite upbeat and a bit more uplifting and fun spirited. While both of the albums focus around break ups, her newest one focuses more on what her partner did wrong and how she is learning to cope with that. There are a few slower songs on the album but it also provides some more upbeat hits. The bonus songs; Obsessed, Girl I’ve Always Been, Scared of my Guitar, Stranger, and So American, are of many that she has teased releasing for a while. Most of the bonuses are my favorite and I find them to be quite relatable. Overall, I love this album and how you can tell Olivia has matured in her views on relationships and life. 

1. Benson Boone: Fireworks and Rollerblades – April 5, 2024

The album opener is ironically called “Intro,” which has a slow, sweet sound to it. The track sets an innocent tone for the album with an older, more nostalgic vibe to it. However, it quickly speeds up in tempo and transitions from its sappy beginnings to an overall view of most of the album’s songs, confrontational and hostile. The songs on this album range from sad and slow to upbeat love songs. “Beautiful Things” was released on January 18th and is featured on this album. This album has so many songs that have been said to be very relatable in many situations. Whether it’s getting over an ex or admiring the one you love, the album has it all. 

I genuinely have such a love for this album. My friend introduced me to Benson Boone in early January, so this album was my real first taste of what his music is like. It has a beautiful arrangement of song types that perfectly describe relationships, from the beginning to the end. It has the ability to be relatable while also maintaining an encouraging and uplifting tone. I honestly believe this is a great album for teenagers. It truly goes through the 5 stages of grief and through every stage of love and really encapsulates the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

1. Beyoncé: Cowboy Carter – March 29, 2024

Throughout time Beyoncé has carried the music industry. Pop music has been her thing for as long as most can remember, so a country album shocked most people. Cowboy Carter, Beyoncé’s eighth studio album and sequel to Renaissance, dropped on March 29. It carries many collaborators including musicians like Linda Martell, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Miley Cyrus, Post Malone, and many others. At the beginning of this year, Beyoncé made history claiming the title as the first Black woman to ever top Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart with “Texas Hold ‘Em,” the album’s lead single. Renaissance highlighted the history of people of color helping to create and perpetuate house music while Cowboy Carter offers the opportunity for mainstream culture to acknowledge how country music owes its sound and history to Black artists.

Although I haven’t spent music time dedicated to this album, I can respect Beyoncé for her ability to produce a new field of music. What sets Cowboy Carter apart is its blend of traditional country elements with Beyoncé’s distinctive flair and sass. Each track blends together guitar riffs, soulful vocals, and rhythms that of course have already been claimed by the TikTok dance creators. Beyoncé flair shines through in every song as she mixes the spirit of country with her own unique style.

1. Noah Kahan: Stick Season (Forever) – February 9, 2024

The song “Stick Season” was released as a single in July 2022 and quickly gained popularity. In October 2022, Kahan released Stick Season, an album that brought 14 new tracks. He then released more singles leading up to the release of Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever) in June 2023, which featured 21 tracks. These included;  “Call Your Mom” featuring Lizzy Mcalpine, “She Calls Me Back” featuring Kacey Musgraves, “Northern Attitude” featuring Hozier, This album brought Kahan success unlike he had ever had. He soon began releasing collaborations with other artists, singing songs that were previously solos on “Stick Season.” Fans loved these collabs and will often say they are better than the original version. “Stick Season (Forever),” has 30 tracks, featuring the 8 collaborations he had recently produced. Stick Season (Forever) holds many references to childhood and hometown nostalgia. The song explores the feelings attached to certain places or people and how they can change over time. Khan has a way of making his lyrics feel relatable for a multitude of situations and age groups, no matter his references to his specific hometown.

This album will always be one of my favorites. Stick Season is beyond beautiful and so heartbreaking. It is probably one of the saddest yet most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard in my life. Noah Kahan has been an artist I have found myself relating to in many ways through his music. He has a way of connecting to people through music no matter the situation. Kahan covers death, relationships, addiction, and mental illness, aka many phases that most people experience throughout their life. Through rough patches, I find myself relating to his music, and through the good his uplifting songs continue the happiness I’m feeling. I fell in love with Stick Season after hearing the first version of the album. With his deep emotional and vulnerable writing, Kahan reaches out and touches your soul. Few musicians tip toe around those lines, but Kahan does it with ease. He does not disappoint and will only grow from what he has already achieved today.