Students win scholarships for design

Students win scholarships for design

Red Baron Building Company partners with LHS for real-world learning experience

The Red Baron Building Company of Lindale is once again partnering with the Lindale High School Career and Technology department in the building of a local home. Students in the CTE program will receive scholarships as well as participate in the building process.

“The program for the past three years has provided the students the opportunity to be a part of a process that allows the student to process information from a customer, and through problem solving and collaboration, design a home,” CTE director, Brent Berryman said. “Mr. Jerry Alexander provides this opportunity every year and has sponsored scholarships to help the students with future education costs in the field of their choice.”

During the spring semester, students in Brent Berryman’s architecture class created home construction plans using Chief Architect Premier software. With Alexander, President of Red Baron Building, they were able to design a home that has elements that will likely go from plans on paper to brick and mortar. Students had to create the home to certain specifications including size, content, code requirements, and functionality. Taylor Farnham and Brice Sustaire were the winning designers this semester. Farnham will receive $900 for Best Kitchen, Best Elevation, and Best Overall. Brice Sustaire will receive $300 for Best Bedroom/Bath.

“I’ve invested in LISD because I believe in Mr. Surratt and Mr. Berryman as individuals who have the ability to shape our children’s future,” Alexander said. “The LISD students strike me as innovative, intelligent, and fresh. Their ideas are unfiltered and open – the sky is the limit for them. I believe that by working with Red Baron they have the opportunity to express their creativity and interact with a real world business that seeks to provide an exceptional product to it’s customers. I look forward to working with the students each semester.”

In addition to scholarships, the Lindale High School CTE program has previously received a portion of the profits from the sale of the home designed by the students. Mr. Alexander looks forward to building one of the designs in the future and sharing proceeds with the program again. Next semester students will be able to tour a home during its stages of development and see how houses are truly built. From concrete and framing, electrical and plumbing, to final finishing, Lindale students have the opportunity to observe and learn more about the overall process.

“We are very thankful for Mr. Alexander’s vision to create and maintain this real-world learning process as well as the monetary assistance to our students,” Berryman said.