Government and Economics Teacher Nominated for Teacher of the Year

Photo courtesy of Melanie McNiel
Photo courtesy of Melanie McNiel

Government and economics teacher, Carl McNiel, has been been chosen as Lindale’s representative for Region 7’s Secondary Teacher of the Year. McNiel will attend a luncheon in Kilgore where the winner will be chosen from representatives from around the area.

“I am proud to have been selected as the Lindale ISD Secondary Teacher of the Year,” McNeil said. “Mr. Surratt visited my 6th Period class to inform me and make the announcement to the class and it was an unforgettable moment for me and the students.”

Each year, only one teacher is selected to represent the high school and junior high campuses as the district secondary representative. They will join one elementary representative chosen from EJ Moss Intermediate, Velma Penny Elementary, College Street Elementary, and the Early Childhood Center.

“Each campus selects a nominee based on factors such as teaching prowess, professionalism, service, etc,” Principal Jeremy Chilek said. “A committee of district level administrators then vote on a representative from the elementary and secondary level of our district, who then goes on to the regional level to compete for the teacher of the year from all of Region 7.”

McNeil’s TJC Government and Economics classes focus on preparing students to major in political science or government at a university level. His classes prepare students both academically and personally to meet the challenges they may encounter in a globally competitive society.

“Mr. McNeil is the ultimate professional educator,” Chilek said. “He takes his job as a teacher seriously, is always prepared, and is always ready and willing to help anyone or help anywhere that’s needed. We have so many phenomenal teachers on our campus and Mr. McNiel is certainly one of the best.”

If McNeil wins Region 7 Teacher of the Year, he will move on to the state contest in Austin.

“McNeil is so passionate about what he teaches,” senior Fiona Turney said. “I look forward to his class everyday and what he has in store for us. Having a teacher who loves what he does makes the class so much more enjoyable.”