Dont text and drive

Don’t text and drive

Distracted driving assembly held at LHS

A distrasted driving assembly was held April 17 in the parking lot during third period. It included a mock car wreck, and was a simulation of the repercussions of distracted driving.

“I truly hope our students were reminded of the dangers of distracted driving,” resource officer Joey King said. “My hope is to generate awareness of the dangers of distracted driving. It comes in many forms like texting, adjusting the radio, picking something up from the floor or seat or simply looking into the rearview mirror.”

The simulation was an effort between Lindale High School, Lindale Fire Department, Trinity Mother Frances, Caudle Rutledge Funeral Home, Foshee Wrecker and Smith County Fire Marshal’s Office. The organizations met several times before the assembly to plan and discuss logistics.

“We wanted to do it just before prom so it would have an impression on students before heading out to prom the next day,” counselor David Ramsey said. “We also wanted to do this because distracted driving has risen to epic proportions. You can go anywhere and see people driving and either talking on their phone or texting while driving.”

It has been a several years since Lindale has done an assembly like this. Officer King and Mr. Neal put in a lot of time pulling this off, and it is certain that there will be another one in the future.

“Judging by feedback from students and staff, it was a very positive experience,” King said. “I felt it went very well.”