Archery To Compete At State Competition

Keren Lee
Junior Colton Nichols prepares to shoot his arrow. The team will compete at the state competition in March.

The archery team will attend the Texas State Archery Tournament on March 26 and 27 in Belton at the Bell County Expo Center. They met the minimum score set for the high school division at a tournament held in January. 

“I am super excited to take this team to the state tournament,” archery coach Christy Bateman said. “I am just thrilled that they get to experience this amazing sport and to earn a spot at the state level is cool.”

The minimum score to qualify is 2780 points, and the team scored 2905. Out of the 89 high school teams that attended the tournament, the team placed 48.

“It’s almost unreal when I think about going to state,” senior Zachary Kellogg said. “I’m really excited to see how well we do. In the end, I hope this will inspire other students to join the archery team.”

At competitions, the top 12 individual scores are added to get the team score. Competitions are divided not by enrollment divisions but by high school, middle school, and elementary schools.

“I am very proud of the team for making it this far,” Bateman said. “We are competing against students who have been in this sport for years.”

Students enrolled in the Outdoor Ed class practice archery three days a week and those who are not enrolled in the class but are still in the club, practice Thursday after school and Friday before school in the green room. This is the first year for the team to compete.

“I feel great pride in going to state for archery,” senior Cole Williams said. “Also, being a senior in the first team allows me to pave the way, so to speak, for future Lindale archers.”